Pregnancy Ticker

Thursday, January 5, 2012

It's Official!

Wow, what a whirlwind 5 weeks this has been. We started trying in September 2011 and had no luck for three months. As each month progressed, we felt like we would never get pregnant! We would try, wait for two weeks, find disappointment, then try again. I didn't know how long I could keep it up. Finally, in November, I decided I would take a new approach. I dove myself into work and exercise and tried not to think about it. We tried to stay busy as much as we could. To our surprise, we found out we were expecting on December 10th!

Originally, we had tested positive on Friday December 9th but we didn't know it! I had come home from work, and before we went out with friends, I decided to take a pregnancy test. I knew it was probably too soon to get a positive result, but I did it anyway. I didn't have much time, so I took the test - didn't see anything, and threw it away. We went out with friends that night and had a fun time. I woke up the next morning at around 7am and had to go to the bathroom. I had read that first morning urine was the best to test with, so I thought "what the heck?" and tested again. (I had bought these really cheap test strips from amazon.com - 30 for $11 - such a steal! So, I was a test 'addict.')

I was so tired and wasn't expecting anything. I looked at the test strip and didn't see anything at first, but I decided to wait one more minute. I stared at it, and couldn't decide if it was grogginess or if there was really something there. It was so faint. I sat there a while alternating between staring at it, tilting it, and squinting at it. Then I realized something - the test from yesterday afternoon! I franticly (without thinking) grabbed the test from the night before from the trash (OK, now I realize this was gross. Oh well!!) and to my absolute shock, it was dead positive.

A picture of the test I took on Friday afternoon (6 days before my missed period!) but didn't discover until Saturday morning.

It was sitting in the trash all night - positive! positive! And we didn't even realize it. The more I looked at the test from that morning, it was there, barely - but the line was there!

I didn't even think of what to do next - I just reacted. I ran to the bedroom and turned on all the lights. I sat down next to Brian, who was dead asleep. I frantically shook him and yelled at him to wake up!! He was very hesitant, but I forced the two tests into his face and asked him if he saw a little pink line. Brian said he saw something there for sure. But then - ladies, sit tight for this one -  he said "let's go back to bed and talk about it in a little while."

Wait, what?

Yes, he said that. Oh no he didn't!

I looked at him and realized he didn't understand what I was showing him. I explained that positive meant positive! He still seemed confused.

Wow, dense.

I had to take out a baby book and read to him that "you cannot have a false positive." Engineers always need proof - he never takes me for my word. Annoying.

Anyway, after that, we both sat there in shock for a long time, and our happiness grew and grew!

We woke up, showered and got dressed. Then we did what every first time expecting couple would do: we got dunkin' donuts, went to CVS and bought a $20 test to confirm our pregnancy!
Brian's reaction to this test was priceless: he just kept walking over to it throughout the day to look and check it.  So cute! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh geeze!

    I just LOVE Baby Lemon's progress chart! How cute!

    ReplyDelete